Thursday, December 23, 2010

Holiday Treats


This has been a super busy month with graduating from WCTC with my Associate degree in Hotel & Restaurant Management and searching for jobs in my field.

Being so busy, I didn't have much time to think about Christmas cookies as much as I wanted to make some. I was fortunate to receive a care package from my mom about a week before school finished. It was a variety of homemade cookies. YUM!!!!! Needless to say those cookies didn't last long and since I still had a taste for Christmas cookies I wanted to make some cookies. I started by making Mint Moments, which are a version of Melting Moments that are rolled in powdered sugar and crushed candy canes. They are so delicious and melt in your mouth (hence the name of the cookie). Unfortunately the recipe only makes about 2 dozen. So much for sharing these with others. I guess I'll keep these to myself. Well, I did share some with my friend, Susha. She totally loved them and refers to them as 'Cornstarch Balls' because the recipe uses 3/4 c. cornstarch. She is so cute.

I was invited to a friends house for a holiday get together last night and was asked to bring a small dessert since there was only going to be a few of us. I thought I would try my hand at Cake Balls. I've heard about them, but have not had any or made them before. I found a recipe on one of my favorite recipe website: http://www.allrecipes.com/ I attempted to make these the night before the get together. Unfortunately the balls were not holding their form when I tried to dip them in chocolate. Therefore, I thought I'd freeze the balls and then dip them in the chocolate. That was the trick. Here is a picture of my holiday cake balls. Unfortunately I didn't get them finished for the get together last night, but they are delicious. They look like truffles, but have a soft inside. And the batch makes so many, I have some to share if anyone wants some.

No comments:

Post a Comment